Saturday, April 21, 2012

Starting over

Okay, no one is reading this blog except me, but in case anyone decides to, I figured I should explain why I haven't posted in almost 4 months.

I'm lazy. There, that was easy.

However, now I have some new inspiration, and I think I finally have something to talk about on a regular basis.

I am going Paleo, and I want to document the changes I've made in my life and hopefully help out anyone looking to do it, too.

In 2009, when I was 8 months pregnant with my son, my husband was diagnosed with relapse-remitting multiple sclerosis. We had been worried about that possibility for about a year and a half, when he started having terrible weakness, fatigue and spasticity. He's been doing well so far: he's had a few relapses but no permanent damage, his disease-modifying drug is working pretty well, and overall he's in good health. But the drugs give him terrible indigestion and reflux, and he's still tired all the time and gets fatigued easily. And when I say fatigued, I don't mean, "Man, I shouldn't have walked that extra 1/4 mile on my walk" fatigue. I mean, "Oh my God, I've been up for 48 hours and run a marathon in that time frame, and now I have to go mow the freaking lawn, too" fatigue. That is MS fatigue.

So diligently researching MS treatments, we had heard about paleo and low-carb and inflammation before. We had let it go in one ear and out the other. But finally, it came down to my husband talking about dropping his prescription because he couldn't take the acid reflux anymore. A drug that's kept him healthy for the last 2 years. A drug that we are (luckily) not paying for, which would have to be substituted for a drug that costs $4000. A. MONTH. A drug that he'd been on previously, which required me to give him a shot every week (he hates needles) and forced him to lie in bed with flu-like symptoms for the next 24 hours. Not a good option.

That's when I heard about Terry Wahls and the amazing results she's had from going Paleo (there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the gist). She went from a wheelchair to riding her bike to work again, all in the span of a year. We talked it over, and though we're not expecting miracles, we figure there's nothing to lose in taking better care of ourselves. We are on day 5 of our personal Paleo challenge, and already his stomach is calmer and he's got more energy.

But you may ask, "What about you, Shannon? Why are you doing it?" Well, I have 3 big reasons:

1) My goal this year was to eat better anyway.
2) I want to support my husband. Making a dramatic change in your lifestyle is never easy. Plus, I don't want to cook 2 meals every night. I'm lazy, remember?
3) Other people's testimonials! Read Mark's Daily Apple for some inspiration. I couldn't get over how many people are feeling (and looking better) after doing this. It's really, truly amazing.

I have been stuck at about 164 pounds since my son was born 2 1/2 years ago. I have done Weight Watchers, counted calories, and tried to eat a balanced diet. Know how much weight I lost? 3 pounds each time, maybe, and I always gain it back. I am ready to make a real change in my life.

Want to come with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment