Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Et tu, sugar?

It's 9:30 in the morning, and my stomach hurts. A lot. I know what the problem is, and it makes me sooooo sad. I can't eat sugar like I used to.

I'm not diabetic or hypoglycemic. I had a physical a few months ago and my blood sugar was just fine. But when I eat Cocoa Pebbles for breakfast, or I have a little too much sugar in my coffee, or I have too big a piece of cake at my sister's graduation party, I feel queasy and my mouth feels greasy. This is rough for someone who answers the question, "If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?" with, "Ice cream."

I think cutting down on processed foods is really going to help with this. Most of the stuff you buy prepackaged in the store has a ton of added sugar, and if I make something myself, I don't really add much sugar to anything. I can't help but be sad, though. I miss being able to eat a bag of M&M's without a problem, or eating a big piece of cake with buttercream frosting and a scoop of ice cream on the side. This transition's going to be difficult, I can tell already.

No comments:

Post a Comment